Monday, September 23, 2013

2nd Grade- Still Life

Before we begin still lifes, I like to read the book Roberto the Insect Architect to my class. This is one of my favorite books because of all the puns that are included. It is also has great illustrations with lots of details. While I am reading, I ask the students to look for all the details. Their favorite page is the junk yard page because it has little details in it such as a toilet, bacon, basketball, etc.

After I read the book, I tell my students that we are going to create a still life, a drawing of objects that do not move, and just like the book, we will have to include lots of details to make our drawing look real. I give each table a aluminum can with 5 paint brushes of different shapes and sizes and one pencil in it. I give each table 20 seconds to re-arrange the brushes and pencil how they want them to be, and then remind them after the 20 seconds are over, they are not allowed to move the objects because it is a still life.

We then draw the still life together, I find that this project is more successful if I do it step by step and give them tips as we draw. We start with the can and then add the brushes. I remind them that their still life's will have the brushes going in different directions because they should be drawing from their still life. Here are some examples of student work.

I really like how this student created the shadow


No comments:

Post a Comment